Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Primitivo - Day 12: Melide to Arzua (14.7km on 7/11/18)


I slept in this morning -- until 6:30am and almost everyone else had already left.  Made myself a nice breakfast in the albergue’s kitchen using the stuff they set out for the pilgrims.  I need/want to break up the remaining 52km into 4 segments so spent a fair bit of time working that out.  Today’s plan is to walk the 15km to Arzua and hopefully stay where we did in 2014. In Melide, the Camino Primitivo joins the Camino Frances. “The French Way” as that’s the route most commonly used by the French in the middle ages.  The way today was fairly crowded with pilgrims but not too bad since I started a bit late. Mid-morning I even double-checked my route since no pilgrims were in sight - something unusual this close to Santiago. There were lots of bars and some new albergues along the route and I had cafe cortado (shot of espresso with a touch of steamed milk).  I reached Arzua at noon and found the albergue where we stayed in 2013. It was just opening and I had no trouble getting a lower bunk near a window. After the usual housekeeping, I went to a restaurant recommended by the hospitalero for a menu del dia.

A neat old bridge that I saw yesterday


Statue of St. James dressed as a pilgrim 
at the church in Melide

The Galician Horreo (granary) is rectangular 
and smaller than the Asturian Horreo


Galician Countryside

I'm staying at Albergue da Fonte
where we stayed in 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment